Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each)
This position will be responsible for mechanical component manufacture, assembly and integration into rocket engine and power systems products. Responsibilities include designing and planning of layout component fabrication, assembly and material handling, planning of sequence of operations, and specification procedures. The scope of responsibility will be for several mechanical components or as a process engineer supporting new and developing process that could be utilized on all programs within M4, with the potential to acquire greater responsibility as performance and experience dictate.
Day-to-day responsibilities will include supporting the following:
30% – Developing and Implementing Manufacturing Fabrication and Assembly Processes and Systems. The candidate will assist to develop and implement the process of precision turning operation of complex configurations on a wide range of material types which will include the following:
- Determining tooling requirements to safely facilitate optimum positioning of surfaces for machining, cleaning, packaging and protection for the milling process, support and maintain dimensional requirements, determine machine loading, setups, hardware handling instructions and scheduling.
- Perform risk assessments to ensure risks to personal and environment is eliminated and risk to hardware and facility is accurately assess and communicated to management.
- Determine clean and etching process for a wide variety of materials.
- Support design reviews – CDR, CoDR PDR.
- 20% – Managing Projects: Assist in managing processes in accordance with the ACE methodology which will include process certification, process improvement methods (e.g. Kaizen, 3P, VSM, etc.) and other Bluebook elements. They will also prepare Basis of Estimates (BOE), develop and defend to management key strategic manufacturing plans, risk assessments and proposals that target customer and business goals; and differentiate between suppliers based on their technical process (Repeatability, Reliability) and business (Reliability, Rates, CSP, ISO compliant) capability.
20% – Welding Support: Develop and implement the process of welding complex configurations on a wide range of material types. Also determine tooling requirements for the welding process, and support and maintain dimensional requirements.
15% – Determining Tight Tolerance Machining: Determine complex design geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) for various machining and measuring methods that meet specifications, tooling and equipment requirements.
15% – Develop/Design Support Hardware and Review Engineering Drawings: Utilize design and business software (ProE, CATIA, VisMockup, and/or other similar CAD/virtual manufacturing tools/software, MS Office applications such as Word, Excel) to develop, design, review and fabricate hardware in support of the Operation and enabling support processes, and Engine.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Manufacturing/Industrial Technology/Engineering or related discipline, and nine (9) years’ experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Personal skills continuously utilized to execute responsibilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication, including public speaking.
- Organizational/Multi-tasking skills that enhance value stream flow and ensure product value streams are effective at meeting customer and company goals.
- Team building skills – develop relationships across value stream and enabling department resources to effectively manage product value stream.
- Candidate must be able to thrive in a team environment, work independently, and embrace continuous improvement.
Requires U.S. Citizenship, U.S. Permanent Residency or other status as a U.S. Person. Must be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
The work environment may require a combination of indoor and outdoor activity (hot, cold, wet, humid conditions) with a varied amount of walking, standing, sitting, climbing (i.e. ladders, stair, scaffolding, ramps), balance (maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces), bending, reaching, handling/fingering (seizing, holding, grasping, turning picking, pinching), stooping, kneeling, crouching and ability to lift/carry/push/pull up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, employees may work around variable noise levels. May require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and shop coat. May also be required to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer. Ability to distinguish colors may also be necessary. Some employees may be required to drive between various locations within the Company facility or between locations. May require the ability to travel by air or auto. These positions may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization.